- Sugar Production in the World increased at the rate of 2-3% in the last decade.
- World Sugar production in 2002-03 increased by 9 % to 147 million tons.
- Cost of Production highest in EU, South Africa,USA & Cuba, whereas lowest in India , after Australia, Brazil and Thailand. Ø World Sugar Consumption increased at an average rate of 1.9 % in the last decade.
- Largest Consumers of Sugar are India, EU, China, Brazil, USA & Mexico.
- Largest exporters of white Sugar are the EU and Brazil followed by Australia, Thailand & India.
Sugar Consumption for the last 5 decades
Top Sugar Producing Countries
- Turnover of Rs.500 billion per annum.
- Contributes Rs. 20 billion to the Exchequer.
- Out of 553 installed sugar mills in the country, about 60 % are in Co-operative sector, 35% in Private sector and the balance in Public sector.
- Co-operative sector accounts for over 55% in terms of no. of factories, installed capacity and production.
- India is the largest single producer of sugar including traditional cane,sugar sweeteners, khandsari, and Gur equivalent to 26 mn.tons.
- India ranks second in field cost of sugarcane next to Australia.
- About 4% of the cultivated area is under sugarcane.
Sugar availability and off-take in India